Saturday, September 18, 2010

Time Goes By

Memories

When I look at the stars at night I'm reminded of singing under them at camp, laying on a blanket laughing and picking out shapes, or trying to memorize what they look in the different places I visit. Each person sees something different when they look at the stars. The same idea falls for just about everything in life.

One of my favorite things is reading, well okay lately it's been sleeping, but both of them have a common appeal to me. Using your imagination to make a story come to life or in your dreams make your goals and dreams come to life- For instance, if myself and 3 others read the same story out of the Bible, yes, some of the themes will be common. What's so wonderful though is that each of us will read it based on our own life, and can make different observations that benefit us all. As for dreams, we each dream uniquely, luckily I dream in vivid color and usually remember them It makes for some funny stories in the morning.

Part of what we learned i psychology was that our memories are biased. Eye witness accounts are not necessarily the most reliable source of evidence. I remember a kiss once when I was younger. It was something that happened so spontaneous and unexpected that later than night I wasn't even sure if it had really happened.

Then there are the memories that are engraved in our minds, effects burned in our hearts, and recollection can still take your breath away. Writing about them, taking photographs, filming them... it may record the moment in time, but the memory itself- well that may be subject to change.

I have had to spend a lot of time at the hospital lately. It has brought back memories, and I have had the opportunity to hear memories from my mother. They are stories that I never got a chance to hear directly from my mamma, Evelyn Jean, (yep I was named after her.. they just added a A) While it has been sad, I know I will cherish the moments for a long time. Unfortunately, even if my mamma does completely recover, the Alzheimers will keep her from being able to share the stories herself.

It the quiet lately I have had a chance to re-think on some of my memories. And yes, they can bring back smiles, tears, and hopes of reliving some of them. As time goes by, time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment