Monday, October 5, 2009

From Leap Frog to Baby Steps

One day, almost a year and a half ago, along came a chance of a lifetime.... This would be the opening line of my autobiography, if I were to tell the tale of when little country girl Jeana Rae graduated law school and hoped to move to the "South" for the start of something new.

How in the world does my tale of taking on the South involve leap frog? Don't worry, as odd as it may sound - there is a correlation. Anyone who knows me minimally, knows that I haven't exactly followed the ordinary road. I've always played some form of leap-frog throughout my life. So when I had to relinquish the title/job "Student,", I chose to take the way less traveled, which came naturally to me. I leapt my way 3 states over, and started a career in higher education. To be more specific, and a good story always needs the details- I went from being the student who was mischievous and spent as much time goofing off as studying, to being the individual responsible for making sure the students followed the rules (with as little mischief as possible).

So to continue my story, I put on my cowboy boots, packed up everything I own (and some that I "borrowed") and headed to the South. The trip out was full of sad goodbyes, new adventures, and anxious arrivals. Having lived on my own for 6 years, I was anxious to not just being moving 3 states away, but moving BACK IN WITH THE PARENTS. (Very quickly I mention the ultimate pro & con of moving back home: Pro- full refrigerator- and not of molded food Con- always having give an account of the who, what, when you'll be back, etc.) And I will give credit to the little laundry fairy. My clothes went down the laundry chute, and magically came by up clean and folded. Yes, I said laundry chute. This is probably an obvious assumption- but I will make note. I debated both of the following: finding a stray cat to drop down the chute and see if she got stuck, and waiting until my parents were in the basement and dropping some lit fireworks from the top floor and letting them pop all the way down to the basement. (we can all thank my wise sister-in-law for talking me out of both.... although if you're ever missing a cat... well you know where to look)

Me, being the adventurous one I am, leapt into my work 3 days after arriving to this new world. I very quickly learned a handful of lessons. Here are some of the ones I feel might be most appreciated: Southern hospitality is not a myth, but fact; it is possible to work yourself so tired you can fall up & fall down the stairs in one trip; and no matter how scared you are- a good bluff can do wonders.

Throughout the next year, I seemed to leap my way from one major event to the next. Homecoming, Thanksgiving, Finals, Christmas, Spring Break, Making Music, Finals, Graduation... and the events in between are still a blur in my memory. History lesson: we played leap frog in soccer practice in high school. No, for those who are curious, I was not good at it. I was just as clumsy then as I am now. However, there is a definite parallel in the feeling of leaping over one hurdle to the next and never getting a change to stop, look back, and reflect. Just to throw a twist in the story, I'll add this detail... around Christmas I became an Aunt. So preparing for the arrival of a nephew was also thrown into the mix for the fall semester.

The result of my year long game of leap frog is that I survived. Without the chance to look back and reflect, it's possible to miss the ache in your heart for your best friend, or the smell of the hay in the pastures, or the bustle of the workers at the Capitol. Naturally, to regain pieces of me that I have misplaced, broken, or just abandoned requires that I stop playing leap frog and actually take some baby steps in my life.

I do believe there were some baby steps taking throughout my year of leap frog, but they were few and far between. So now I have resolved to take the baby steps and find those pieces. Although I consider myself at this time to be a little homesick, I have gained this important grain of wisdom. Taking baby steps can lead to wonderful revelations in life. For example, tonight I was able to take a small step and spend some time socially with some of my co-workers. Luckily for me, these co-workers are much more than just someone I have to interact with at work on a daily basis. They are my friends and my family. While I am still struggling to find a place "socially" that I fit in (Missie literally was going to get me a t-shirt made that said the following, "young enough to date you, old enough to be your Dean"). I will be honest- it can be a bit challenging to be the baby of the office (although qualified) and at the same time, be the same generation of the student's I'm expected to guide. Yes, for the curious- there are students older than me & I have dated individuals back home that were as young as some of my students. End result: lots of challenging frustrations, gummy worms, and diet coke.

Taking it one small step at a time I will find the places where I fit in (and luckily I'm able to blend in pretty well to several groups). Until that time comes, I am satisfied knowing that I am surrounded by Christian brothers and sisters who I am blessed to know. I also have family close by who will always be there when I need them. To me, it's more important that I am doing what is willed for me than to be what I would determine "socially successful."

1 comment:

  1. Sweetie, you always had the ability to fall up and down stairs in the same trip.

    ReplyDelete