Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Simplicity, Silence, Sincerity

Simply put - I have decided to break the silence and blog what is sincerely in my heart.

*That was an awful beginning sentence.. I was feeling sarcastic.

I spent 4 years in undergraduate school focusing on studying the human and why we think and act like we do. I should have completed the minor in anthropology, but instead just settled for graduating on time with the psychology degree. I then spent 3 years learning the law and how it affects humans and their nature.

Although my job is very public in nature, I am a very private person- or try to be. I am fascinated with people and their behavior. I originally wanted to go into forensic psychology, but was led in the direction of law instead. Someone convinced me I could help others better by training in law. My psychology and anthropology professors focused on how and why people think and act the way they do. Law professors - focused on the results and consequences of these actions. Learning about people has allowed me to try and help them in various ways. It's bigger than a career goal, or current job, I have always wanted to work in a service profession with others.

I have been blessed to spend time during the past 12 years in Central America doing mission work. I worked mainly in Jinotepe, Nicaragua- a place i call my second home. The sincerity I witnessed there is something that I have not been as fortunate to see as much here. Working long term in the mission field is what I want most. If I have a meaningful for purpose for why I am in public, or around a lot of people even in a small setting ... then I am more comfortable. In fact, this is one of the reasons why I am still working where I am.

Psychology & anthropology taught me the value of those who are sincere. It is a trait that is quickly losing its popularity. Silence can be seen as a form of sincerity. For example, taking a moment of silence out of respect for those who have lost their lives. Like all things in life, there are two sides. False sincerity and silence can be just powerful. Powerful and hurtful more exactly. Communication is necessary to get by day to day. For situations where we don't feel comfortable, or are unable, to communicate for ourselves we find ways. For example, lawyers. Lawyers are employed to communicate how the law and a specific set of facts, facts connected to an individual, are related. Although the clients may be angry or distraught, we were taught that the client being able to "be heard" is valuable as well as the end result of the lawsuit.

So after all of this rambling I conclude with this simple, yet vital thought: do you act in a way that is sincere with what your heart wants? and is this what God wants?

No comments:

Post a Comment